Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Little City at the Edge of the World

photo credit: Jen
I read somewhere that Venice is only about twice the size of New York's Central Park. After a hard day's night of travel and the sadness of having to say arrivederci to family in the States, we were happy to see it again yesterday evening--though I have no idea what day it is today.

When I sit on a certain park bench at the far eastern end of the city I often see some airliner approach Marco Polo Airport along just the route we were following when this picture was taken. If I'm not preoccupied with other thoughts I usually imagine how pleasant it is to be in a plane as it finally descends to its destination, and how excited passengers must be to find themselves arriving at such a city for the first, or fifth, or tenth time. I don't think I'd ever gotten such a clear view of the city from the air as this photo presents, so now I can imagine the experience of those on the plane much better than I ever could before. And if you are one of those on the plane arriving you can imagine at least one guy, invisible, and miles distant, watching you come in for a safe landing.

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful photo. Yes, the first view of Venice from the air always makes my heart leap! I hope you had a nice visit with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every year when we arrive that view makes my heart sing, but on departure it brings me to tears. Only another 48 hours and I'll be right there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Mary, how true that is!

    Welcome home, Sig. Nonloso. You brought good weather with you.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I also relate to both of Mary's emotions on arrival & departure I can only say to Yvonne that you better not be thinking of the latter yet--you only just got here! And we still have to get together some time.

    And thanks, Annie, it was a really great visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back to Venezia. The photo is beautiful and I will look forward to my next landing, knowing Sig. Nonloso is waving me in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to be back, Maya, and here's hoping that your next landing in Venice is soon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete