Sunday, December 2, 2012

Another World


Sandro pauses to check out the bassa marea (low tide) on his way home from school recently. A way home from school that bears no resemblance to the one I took growing up in California, that his mother took in Iowa, or that he would have taken in his birthplace of Asheville, NC or in our previous home in Brooklyn, NY.

The fact that after two years here such surroundings as these have all become so natural and normal to him only serves to make them even stranger to me.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Venice it's a wonderfull town for children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that there are places in the world with more and better parks, better schools, etc, and yet in so many ways Venice is a paradise for kids, and I have a hard time imagining a place with all of its distinctive benefits.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely photograph.

    I imagine observing one's child growing up in a foreign country, yet the country is not foreign to him, would only increase one's own sense of foreignness.

    Sorry for the rambling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed have that effect, Susie.

      And I've never known you to ramble--which, alas, is more than I can say about myself.

      Delete